Carl Fontana Jazz Trombone Competition
First Prize - TBA
General Rules and Requirements
- The 2013 ITA Competitions General Rules and Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Sound file must be recorded with a live rhythm section (minimum 2 members) in the key of your choice.
- Choruses must be improvised and not read.
- Jazz band cuts are not allowed.
- Past winners of the Carl Fontana Jazz Trombone Competitions are not eligible in the 2013 Fontana Jazz Trombone Competition.
Preliminary & Final Round Repertoire Requirements
Items must be recorded in the order listed below
- Six to eight (6-8) choruses of blues (including the melody). It is the player's choice to play one or two choruses of melody.
- Player's Choice - Three to four (3–4) choruses of one of the following pieces. It is the player's choice to play one or two choruses of melody.
- Beautiful Friendship
- If I Only Had a Brain
- Polka Dots and Moonbeams
- It Might As Well Be Spring
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is the player's choice to play the melody at the end of one or both of the items (after the improvisation), so long as the maximum number choruses is not exceeded.
|2007||Joe McDonough||Temple University|
|2008||Robbie Harvey||Guildhall School of Music|
|2009||Eric Bowman||Western Michigan University|
|2010||Eric Miller||Manhattan School of Music|
|2011||Javier Nero||Juilliard School of Music|
|2012||Ido Meshulam||Berklee College of Music|