J.J. Johnson Jazz Trombone Competition / Rath Trombones
For trombonists ages 25 and under (birth date of January 1, 1989 or later)
First Prize - Rath R1, R2, or R10 jazz trombone
General Rules and Requirements
- Required repertoire should be uploaded as three separate audio files. No edits may be made within a single track.
- Any audible count-offs will violate the spoken dialogue rule and are grounds for disqualification.
- Recordings must be made with a live rhythm section (minimum 2 members) in the key of your choice.
- Choruses must be improvised and not read
- It is the performer's choice to play one or two choruses of the melody on each selection. The maximum number of choruses, including the melody, must not be exceeded.
- Recordings taken from a Jazz band performance are not allowed
- Past winners of the JJ Johnson Jazz Trombone Competition are not eligible in the 2015 JJ Johnson competition.
Preliminary & Final Round Repertoire
- Six to eight (6 - 8) choruses of a Blues (including the melody) OR Four to Five (4 - 5) choruses of a "rhythm changes" tune (examples: "I've Got Rhythm", "Oleo", "Anthropology")
- Four to six (4 - 6) choruses of any composition (except a blues), composed by J.J. Johnson (including the melody).
- Original Composition by the performer
School of Music
School of Music
ITA/Rath Previous Winners
J.J. Johnson Previous Winners
||Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London
||University of Nevada-Las Vegas graduate
||CNSMD Lyon, France
||University of Miami
||Berklee College of Music (alumnus)